Re: [squid-users] Accelerator mode and referer information

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 19:34:56 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 2 May 2005, Alvarez, Wilfried wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> Because I only have one public IP adresse and several apache
>> serveurs, I use Squid as a reverse proxy (accelerator mode) on a dedicated
>> PC. It works well and is very stable. But, my backend servers do not have
>> all the information from the client, and particulary the referer. In fact,
>> apaches serveurs on the backend PCs see the PC on which squid is install
>> as the request source, SO, my apache log files give me the squid PC IP
>> adresse as the referer.

This is the source IP, not the referer.

>> Is it possible to configure Squid to ask it to forward the complete
>> html information to the backend servers?

Squid preserves the complete HTTP request, including referer. But as it is
an application level proxy it does not preserve the TCP/IP details such as
source IP or port.

To compensate for this Squid adds a custom "X-Forwarded-For" header
carrying the original source IP.