[squid-users] Abridged URL gives wierd squid error on STABLE10?

From: Frank Hamersley <terabite@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 17:58:09 +1000

G'day one 'n all,

I have been testing Squid 2.5 S10 on a RH80 Bastion Firewall host (cable
network connected) for QA as a precursor to upgrading a production system
and have been getting some wierd stuff happening. I'm not convinced Squid
is at fault but more on that later.

When a URL like this is presented ...

http://www.google.com/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:officia

I get the following ...

        ERROR

        While trying to retrieve the URL:
/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

        The following error was encountered:

                    * Invalid URL

        Some aspect of the requested URL is incorrect. Possible problems:

                    * Missing or incorrect access protocol (should be `http://'' or
similar)
                    * Missing hostname
                    * Illegal double-escape in the URL-Path
                    * Illegal character in hostname; underscores are not allowed

        Your cache administrator is webmaster.
        Generated Tue, 24 May 2005 13:28:07 GMT by TERAFIRE (squid/2.5.STABLE10)

I personally suspect the underlying problem is a flakey DNS. The cable
network I am connected to has been suffering (according to the ISP at least)
a sustained attack on its DNS servers from zombies. This does appear to
have some cred as until recently surfing OS sites particularly was very
problematic especially in the evening prime time period. I suspect in some
case the DNS just does not complete the requests properly or perhaps in that
the ISP is dropping DNS requests that resolve to an IP within its address
space. I am using a dynamic DNS service to point back to my own public IP
address but the example shown above is not one of my domains! Another
factor is that I am using iptables to redirect internal port 80 to 3128
(PREROUTING) to supply squid with requests rather than having squid listen
on 80.

In light of this does this symptom appear to be what you would expect if the
DNS lookup failed? Is there a simple way to prove this point perhaps by
switching on some level of debug for the squid daemon? Or is it something
new for S10 that I should bugzilla?

Cheers, Frank