Re: [squid-users] Confused user about squid accelerator

From: Jesus Salvo Jr. <jesus.salvo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 09:43:40 +1000

On Sunday 25 September 2005 07:53, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Jesus Salvo Jr. wrote:
> > Now the problem that I have is that, if I type in my browser just the
> > public IP address or the private IP address, then squid returns an HTTP
> > 403. The reason is that, the browser is sending the HTTP Host header like
> > this if I type in the private IP:
> >
> > Host: 10.0.21.7
> >
> > .. or if I type in the public IP:
> >
> > Host: x.x.x.x
>
> To solve this you need to use a redirector telling Squid that when it
> receives a request for http://10.0.21.7/ it should handle it as a request
> for http://apps.company.com/ (or whatever you want the default domain to
> be).
>
> Alternatively you can set "httpd_accel_single_host on", and leave this to
> your web server to decide what to do.

Thanks! That did it.

FYI .... The reason I am doing this is that after a webserver upgrade which
includes an upgrade of the Java servlet / JSP engine for dynamic pages, the
dynamic pages are now chunked ( Transfer-Encoding: chunked ). This works fine
with desktop browsers ... but is a problem with i-mode phones as they seem to
really rely on the Content-Length header ( and therefore no chunking ) for
pages to be displayed.

Fortunately squid uses HTTP/1.0 !! ... so the solution was to put an
accelerator so that response from squid to the phone are not chunked.

Regards,

John