Re: [squid-users] HTTPD reverse proxy

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:18:17 +0200

On 12.10 14:03, Neil A. Hillard wrote:
> There are a couple of reasons that I can think of that require this
> configuration:
>
> 1) Where you don't trust the security of the connection between the
> reverse proxy and backend web server and

Yes, but I already told that :)

> 2) Where the backend web server insists on generating URLs based on the
> protocol used to communicate with it. e.g. https to the reverse proxy,
> http to the web server and it generates HTML with http:// URLs.

In such case it's problem of braindead dynamic pages, that use absolute URIs
;) Yes, this problem can be avoided by having ssl in outgoing requests from
proxy. But that's a workaround to this problem...

> We moved away from squid as a reverse proxy to Apache with mod_proxy,
> mod_rewrite and mod_proxy_html (from Nick Kew). This allows us to fully
> rewrite the HTML from the backend web server and change links for
> external access. This way we can consolidate multiple backend servers
> into a single certificate and we use strong authentication so this
> ensures that the users only have to authenticate once.

... and this is another workaround :-)
the fix is: change the scripts to generate only relative URIs ;)

I don't have lysdexia. The Dog wouldn't allow that.