Re: [squid-users] Systems Requirements

From: Kevin <kkadow@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:48:06 -0500

On 10/24/05, Chris Robertson <crobertson@gci.com> wrote:
> Ben [mailto:benja@ultranet2go.net] wrote
> > What is the Hardware Systems Requirements the squid for
> > 10,000 clients?
>
> Number of clients is a fairly useless metric.
> Requests per second certainly more helpful,
> or expected bandwidth utilization, ...

Additionally, when you start talking about many thousands of clients,
many hundreds of requests per second, many tens of megabits per second,
you may want to start considering load-balancing, automatic failover,
and geographic diversity of server pools.

You might also think about a cache hierarchy.

Personally I prefer the non-transparent approach, using the
Javascript-based Proxy Automatic Configuration (PAC) to select
a proxy server (or optionally, fall back servers if the primary is down)
gives some very powerful options and works with all modern graphical web
browsers (with the exception of one known bug in Safari, soon to be fixed).

Kevin Kadow