[squid-users] Configuring Squid as Reverse Proxy for Multiple Domains (http accelerator)

From: Gavin Henry <ghenry@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 14:30:01 -0000 (GMT)

Dear List,

We would like to run our idea past you and check we are correct in our
assumption that this is the way to do it, using:

http://squid.visolve.com/squid/reverseproxy.htm

We have the situation where we are running a few different domain names on
one IP, and not via Apache virtual hosts, but www.domain1.com:81
www.domain2.com:82 etc

We want to use the reverse proxy to handle these domain names, so whenever
an internet client comes into that IP, for www.domain1.com,
www.domain2.com etc. squid proxies the request to the internal Apache
servers, which are listening on port 80 or another port.

So, if we recompile Fedora Core 4 SRPM with the --disable-internal-dns
option and just list our internal apache servers in /etc/hosts then this
will be possible, after making squid listen on port 80?

The only tricky part is that we have an apache server on the same machine
as the one we want to install Squid on, which listens on port 81. We are
not sure how to specify a port for squid to redirect to?

Maybe we should make these web servers all virtual hosts on one machine.
and not bother with the reverse proxy? But we would like to spread the
load, and virtual hosts would not do this.

Not sure on the correct ACLs though for internet clients though?

Many thanks,

Gavin.

--
Kind Regards,