Re: [squid-users] Rotating Logs

From: Jakob Curdes <jc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 21:10:44 +0200

>I issue the following command
>
>/usr/sbin/squid -k rotate
>
>and nothing seems to happen. I have read in the docs that it should
>change the log files but nothing seems to happen in /var/log/squid
>
>Am I missing something?

More interesting than the compile options are the settings in the config
file squid.conf. According to the compilation options you should find it
in /etc, but beware : there might be several versions of you system.
Make sure you are looking at the right one.
Look at the configuration variable squid_rotate. Here is the excerpt of
the explanation in the conf file :

# TAG: logfile_rotate
# Specifies the number of logfile rotations to make when you
# type 'squid -k rotate'. The default is 10, which will rotate
# with extensions 0 through 9. Setting logfile_rotate to 0 will
# disable the rotation, but the logfiles are still closed and
# re-opened. This will enable you to rename the logfiles
# yourself just before sending the rotate signal.

I suppose this is set to 0 so you see no rotation.

Yours,
Jakob Curdes