RE: [squid-users] Questions on cache and memory

From: Arianto C Nugroho <ari@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 15:09:07 +0700

squid will not use disk space more than the one you have specify in the
configuration files (see the cache_dir parameter). as how much space you
need for cache, it really depends on your users behavior.. in my case,
i only need around as much as the data being downloaded from the internet
in a day. this because most of the sites being access are non-cacheable.
so give your squid a try and see how much space you need.

squid will automaticaly 'rotate' the content according to the algorithm you
have chosen in the squid configuration file (see the cache_replacement_policy
parameter).

squid does take a lot of memory.. in short you could read
  http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-8.html#ss8.11

i suggest you should read the squid configuration sample file. it has a lot
information in need.