Re: [squid-users] squid and blank/empty passwords?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 14:54:56 +0200

ons 2006-04-05 klockan 21:44 -0400 skrev Scott Ehrlich:
> I am trying to establish blank passwords for some squid accounts, using
> htpasswd /etc/squid/squid_passwd name_of_user
>
> When prompted for a password, I just hit enter twice. The squid_passwd file
> still shows an encrypted password. I've tried to delete it, leaving just the
> username and colon, but I cannot seem to get a blank password.

Even a blank password has a hash looking just the same as a non-blank
password hash.

> What is the magic?

You will need to change the source somewhat. Both Squid and ncsa_auth
denies blank passwords without even looking into the password file. The
attached patch should "fix" this for ncsa_auth. Make sure to read
squid.conf.default after applying the patch as it adds a new auth_param
basic option for enabling blank passwords.