Re: [squid-users] Howto Clear Cache Periodicaly

From: Guillaume Vachon <gvachon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 10:26:42 -0400

On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 14:51 +0100, Neil A. Hillard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> mail reformatted to make sense (i.e. please don't top post!)

> >> What you have is determined by the cache_dir specifications
> >> in squid.conf. The size there is taken into account , and SQUID will
> >> trimm cache dirs automatically if that would be needed.

> >> - The idea of a caching proxy is to have a cache, and to benefit
> >> from that, not clean it.
> >> I run SQUID with the same cache dir and or squid maintained content
> >> for more then year without touching it.
> >> And or touching it alone, if serious SYSTEM or disk problems would occur.
> >>
> >> Make sure that your disk access performance, for instance, is adequate
> >> for the SQUID induced disk I/O load.
> >
> > For the computer that is running Squid it is a Dual core 3 ghz, there
> > is 2 gig of ram. The disk are scsi. I don't think that it is the
> > machine that is having the probleme. There is no probleme with the
> > access to disk.
>
> If you want better advice you'll need to show here how you've checked
> that. Have you used iostat, vmstat, etc. You may also want to post you
> squid.conf (stripped of comments and blank lines).
>
> Do you have multiple cache_dirs specified?
>
> > There might be solution somewhere. I mean I should not have to reset
> > my cache. The computer is strong enough. But still it went really
> > slow (so slow that browsing the web was imposible)and restarting
> > squid with a new cache solved the problem. What can I do to be sure
> > that this does not happen again
>
> Correct - you should not have to. After all, I have a dual P3-667MHz
> with 512Mb RAM serving over 3500 clients. Your machine is considerably
> more powerful.
>
> What is the machine doing when it is in this state. Is anything logged
> in cache.log, anything relevant in syslog?
>

> Without more information we can't really offer any advice.
>

> Neil.

---
Here is my squid.conf
pid_filename /opt2/squid-logs/squid.pid
redirect_program /usr/local/squid/bin/zapchain /usr/local/squid/bin/squidGuard
	"/usr/local/squid/bin/SquidClamAV_Redirector.py
	-c /usr/local/squid/etc/SquidClamAV_Redirector.conf"
redirect_children 30
acl localhost src 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255
acl proxycsbf src 10.0.10.15/255.255.255.255
redirector_access deny proxycsbf
redirector_access deny localhost
auth_param basic children 5
auth_param basic realm Squid proxy-caching web server
auth_param basic credentialsttl 2 hours
auth_param basic casesensitive off
refresh_pattern ^ftp:           1440    20%     10080
refresh_pattern ^gopher:        1440    0%      1440
refresh_pattern .               0       20%     4320
acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
acl manager proto cache_object
acl to_localhost dst 127.0.0.0/8
acl SSL_ports port 443 563
acl Safe_ports port 80          # http
acl Safe_ports port 21          # ftp
acl Safe_ports port 443 563     # https, snews
acl Safe_ports port 70          # gopher
acl Safe_ports port 210         # wais
acl Safe_ports port 1025-65535  # unregistered ports
acl Safe_ports port 280         # http-mgmt
acl Safe_ports port 488         # gss-http
acl Safe_ports port 591         # filemaker
acl Safe_ports port 777         # multiling http
acl CONNECT method CONNECT
http_access allow manager localhost
http_access deny manager
http_access deny !Safe_ports
http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_ports
acl our_networks src 10.0.0.0/8 172.16.0.0/12 192.168.0.0/16
http_access allow our_networks
http_access deny all
http_reply_access allow all
icp_access allow all
cache_mgr ""
cache_effective_user squid
cache_effective_group squid
visible_hostname ""
err_html_text toot@ootot.net
forwarded_for off
cachemgr_passwd *******
error_directory /usr/local/squid/share/errors/French
coredump_dir /usr/local/squid/var/cache
---
> What is the machine doing when it is in this state.  Is anything logged
> in cache.log, anything relevant in syslog?
Says too much file open in the cache or something like that.
---
I'm up to try anything
Thanks in advance!