Re: [squid-users] delay pool configuration and query - PL PL Respond

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:41:25 -0800

> lokesh.khanna@accelonafrica.com wrote:

You might be better served by a traffic shaper (such as tc on Linux or
dummynet pipes on FreeBSD). As far as I can tell, delay pools are just
designed to preserve traffic between Squid and the internet.

>What is delay_initial_bucket_level. If I make it 0 or make it 100 , what
>will happen? Pl give some example. I have read FAQ and other documents
>but I couldn't understand this.

Considering you have defined the same maximum and restore bucket size,
this parameter is meaningless. If you gave a larger maximum bucket
size, this would determine how full the maximum bucket would start with
a new client.

>Another thing which I want to know is - Is delay pool going to take more
>resources from server? Do I need to add more memory or CPU? I am
>planning to use class c delay pools. And I have nearly 3000 users.

unquestionably, more resources will be required (Squid is being required
to track more information). I can't possibly begin to tell you how much
though.

>Thanks - LK

Chris