Re: [squid-users] Howto Clear Cache Periodicaly

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:07:02 +0200

On 12.04.06 02:34, Dave wrote:
> I've also seen this issue. I'm on a FreeeBSD6 box with squid 2.5 on it.
> My config is below. Generally when this happens the disk goes nuts, as if
> it's trying to clean files out of the disk cache, i use a
> du -sh
> command and check the cache directories and they're full. My solution is to
> add another cache dir, but i'd like to know why this is occurring. I'm not
> getting any output indicating a problem in syslog or the squid logs.

'du -sh' won't say anything relevant to you, will just load your dirs.

> cache_dir aufs /usr/local/squid/cache 500 16 256
> cache_dir aufs /usr/local/squid/cache1 500 16 256

are these on the same disk? if so, it's useless and you can merge them (just
use 1000 for first one and remove the second one).

cache_dir should be preferably on separate filesystem, mounted with
"noatime" option, on separate drive and only one cache_dir on one drive.

however, I'd say there's something bad on your system. My 36GB disk with
30GB of cache behaves quite fast, I'd say the cleaning happens quite often

> acl porn url_regex "/usr/local/etc/squid/porn"
> acl spyware dstdomain "/usr/local/etc/squid/spyware.acl"
> http_access allow our_networks !porn !spyware

I'd say you should use !spyware !porn, to avoid regex checks on denied
domains. However comparing many regular expressions is very ineffective.