RE: [squid-users] External ACL control/MACs

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 11:31:46 +0200

ons 2006-04-12 klockan 20:41 -0400 skrev Jason Gauthier:

> IP it is! I'm not stuck on the MAC thing. IP would be perfectly
> acceptable.
> Is there any documentation on how to accomplish this?

The login page is web application programming in any environment you
prefer. Not exacly Squid related, just a web page where the user can log
in. If access to this page is also going via the proxy then remember to
grab the client IP from the HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR CGI variable as the
TCP/IP source IP will be the proxy..

To plug this into Squid you need to write a small helper which is
capable to query if a given IP is registered as logged in or not in your
login application. See the external_acl_type directive for what Squid
expects from this helper. deny_info can be used to send the client to
the login page if not currently logged in.

I am not aware of many prebuilt such application available on the
Internet. Probably because it in large is very dependent on the
authentication method used and what database/registry is selected for
the session storage.