Re: [squid-users] ssl port 443

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 13:52:28 +0200

tor 2006-04-13 klockan 12:09 +0200 skrev Mark Elsen:

> - Inspecting HTTPS is an ever increasing issue, in today's internet, because
> viruses e.d. can't be seen in encrypted streams.
> Bluecoat proxies offer this possibility too, as a man-in-the-middle decrypter
> and encrypter.
>
> My bank , however, provides me with a ssl based key, with strong
> encryption, for accessing it's web-banking application.

Such applications obviously won't work via decrypting https proxies and
must be excluded once approved for unfiltered use.. The use of client
certificates requires end-to-end SSL even if the client trusts the
man-in-the-middle. Or at lest I think this is the case even if I haven't
really verified this cryptographically, but if it wasn't then SSL client
certificate identification would be seriously flawed..

> Even without, I'd be wary, see-ing Hendrik with pina-colada in the
> Bahama's on what was eventually, my now, empty bank account ... :-) :-)

That's an interesting idea :-)

And is why you shouldn't accept a untrusted certificate for a trusted
site..