[squid-users] Refreshing files in the squid cache on a regular basis?

From: Al Breingan <squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 12:26:15 +1000

Hi - I am a new user of squid (version squid-2.5.STABLE12 as part of an
IPCOP 1.4.10 distro). I am connected to the net via a distressingly slow
connection, and would like to keep some fast changing files refreshed on the
proxy without manual intervention. Ideally this should all happen from the
single machine that acts as http and ftp proxy, as that is always left on.

Specifically I am trying to keep the newest versions of a set of GIF images
that show rain radar data. These images change every 10 minutes.

So ideally I am looking for a squid command that would say "retrieve this
URL every 10 minutes and store it in your cache", so that it can be
displayed without delay when a client machine requests it.

I suspect this may be a bit much to ask for (wry smile) and so another
possibility would be to use one of the FTP clients to request the files
using cron. However I am not sure if a request from the actual proxy machine
would be intercepted by the proxy daemon, or go directly out to the net.
This method also has the disadvantage of storing two sets of files on the
machine (one in the cache and one where the FTP client places them).

If anyone can give me any pointers about how I could best do this I would be
grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Al Breingan