Re: [squid-users] hardware to load balance squid proxies?

From: Kinkie <kinkie-squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 12:57:55 +0200

On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 23:58 +1000, Adrian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a hardware solution to load balance a cluster of
> squid proxies.. I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience
> with this type of thing.
>
> I'm looking at the Cisco LocalDirector - are there other good
> options around?

I've had good experiences with Alteons (now sold by Nortel Networks) and
Foundry ServerIron's, but that was a few years back. Now F5 seems to
have gained ground in the market, mostly at the expense of Foundry.

> I have various types of users and various types of proxy
> arrangements (eg caches, content filters etc)..
>
> I'd like to be able to setup everyone to hit a device (preferably
> WCCP) and control which proxy (or proxy group) they connect
> to myself in the background without having to juggle A records
> or tier squid proxies.
>
> Is that possible with a LocalDirector?

Sure. HOWEVER it's an outdated platform and it's generally speaking not
that good. It works if you're already good at using it, but I wouldn't
recommend it as a first-time setup.

As a general matter, I recommend you not to try to be too smart. Just
keep it simple and it will be MUCH easier to maintain.

        Kinkie