[squid-users] Authorisation helper error message tracing

From: Holton, Euan <EHolton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 15:24:37 +0100

Good afternoon fellow Squid-users

I'm currently running Squid 2.5STABLE13-NT on Windows 2000, and I get a
fair number of these messages in cache.log:

ntlm-auth[4176]: sending 'NA Incorrect Request Format' to squid

Would I be correct in assuming that these messages are caused by
incorrect client requests, as other than these messages NTLM
authentication works well? If so, is there any debug level I can set
via debug_options or even some other way to try and trace down what the
offending clients are so I can go fix them? Turning on the -d setting
for ntlm-auth doesn't really provide a great deal of information as to
who it could be:

ntlm-auth[1864]: attempting SSPI challenge retrieval
ntlm-auth[1864]: Got it
ntlm-auth[1864]: sending 'TT *some stuff that might be a hash*' to squid
ntlm-auth[1864]: Got 'KK *some more hash-like stuff*' from Squid
ntlm-auth[1864]: No domain supplied. Returning no-auth
ntlm-auth[1864]: sending 'NA Incorrect Request Format' to squid
ntlm-auth[1864]: Got 'YR *Hash? Sensitive? Not sure, but commenting it
out anyway just in case*' from Squid

I may be being over-sensitive to this I suppose, especially as it is all
working nicely at the moment (weeks or months between restarts of the
service, with occasional reconfigures to tweak ACL settings; browsing
speed pleasantly quick, especially from cache).

My thanks for any suggestions / assistance that can be rendered.

Euan Holton
Network Technician
Senior Aerospace BWT