Re: [squid-users] Transparency and blocking other proxies

From: Dwayne Hottinger <dhottinger@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:08:38 -0400

Quoting Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>:

> ons 2006-04-19 klockan 15:35 -0700 skrev jimmy@emobilenetworks.com:
> > Then can we use Shorewall + squid to accomplish this task?
>
> Yes, Shorewall like most other firewall products can be instructed to
> block all Internet access...
>
> If this is what you want to do is another question. You still have not
> specified why you want to block access to other proxies..
>
> Regards
> Henrik

If he is with a school system in the US he probably has to filter all internet
traffic for content to insure the kiddies dont stumble on something bad, or get
stalked in a chat room. Henrick is right though, Im not sure there is a good
way to do it with a transparent proxy. Ive been thinking about using a radius
server or NTLM (I think) and making everyone have a username and password to
get to the internet. But, that would be quite a nightmare to set up. If I was
running Novell, Id use bordermanager and Novells transparent proxy, so everyone
would have to login to a server in order to do anything network wise.
Unfortunately I have Apples Computers, Windows Computer and Linux so I cant yet
use Novell. Keep us posted on what you find out. Im sure Im not the only
network admin at a school that is curious how to keep kids (and teachers) from
Skirting around the Internet filter.

ddh

--
Dwayne Hottinger