[squid-users] Squid crashing with "FATAL: xcalloc..." in cache.log

From: lawrence wang <levity@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 12:36:23 -0400

I've seen the answer to this in the FAQ. However,

1) I am definitely not running out of swap, and
2) "ulimit -HSd" reports that the max segment size is set to unlimited
by default.

I am seeing this behavior consistently on a number of boxes when they
get to a little over 1GB of resident memory usage. The amount of
physical RAM on the boxes ranges from 4-8GB.

The boxes are all running Fedora Core 4. I haven't been able to find
much documentation on how to find what the max segment size is for a
given running process, i.e. whether "unlimited" really means unlimited
or whether there might be a hard cap imposed elsewhere. Any pointers?
Or are there any known issues with Squid using >1GB of memory?