Re: [squid-users] Memory leak in squid 2.5STABLE13?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 22:31:45 +0200

mån 2006-04-24 klockan 15:47 -0400 skrev Mike Mitchell:

> Notice that the memory usage "Total in Use:" is 474 MB, while the
> Memory accounted for is only 258 MB.

> Does anyone have an idea of what I should try next?

Start by making a graph of "Total in Use" and "Memory accounted for". If
the growth of the two follows similar patterns then there is good news
and you can go to the "Memory pools" page to determine where the memory
have gone. If "Memory accounted for" is stable and only "Total in Use"
is growing then the situation is slightly trickier (but not hopeless).

To continue from there check if

a) memprof is available for your RedHat OS version. If it is then it can
be used to collect a detailed memory usage profile with only a small
impact on performance.

b) If memprof isn't available then the next option to try is valgrind.
This is even more detailed but have a significantly higher performance
impact.

> I've tried configuring with
> --enable-dlmalloc and that didn't have any affect on the memory leak.
> I've also tried replacing the version of dlmalloc (2.6.4) that's
> shipped with squid with a newer version (2.7.2), but that didn't
> have any affect either.

Switching the malloc implementation only helps if "Total in use" is
stable but "Total space in arena" continues growing a lot..