Re: [squid-users] Question on the cache_dir

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 09:58:56 +0200

On 25.04.06 16:14, Prabu wrote:> From: Prabu <prabu.ayyappan@gmail.com>
> I have a question on the cache_dir
>
> cache_dir aufs Directory-Name Mbytes Level-1 Level-2
>
> 1)How the level-1(number of first-level subdirectories under Directory)
> and level-2(number of second-level subdirectories under 1st level
> direcory) should be configured.

depends on the cache size. the default "16 256" is usually enough

> 2)Does changes in the level-1 and level-2 impact my squid performance?

large numbers usually degrade performance (it depends on how the FS proc
esses directories with large numbjer of files).
If you have big cache and many files, you probably should increase L1
(I had to change it to 32 on 18GB disk and 64 on 36GB disk)
if you have small cache, you may decrease L2 but I don't think it will help
you much.

Linux is like a wigwam: no Windows, no Gates and an apache inside...