RES: [squid-users] Freebsd -Squid - danguardian- Winbind- XMallocError

From: Erick Dantas Rotole <dantasrotole@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 07:27:30 -0300

Henrik,

I had already read the FAQ. But the configuration for FREEBSD I think it is
for older version. Searching the web I found.

add the following values to /boot/loader.conf which worked:
kern.maxdsiz="1073741824" # 1GB
kern.dfldsiz="1073741824" # 1GB
kern.maxssiz="134217728" # 128MB

Is that rigth? I have to set kern.maxdsiz or kern.maxssiz. Thanks!

8.7 xmalloc: Unable to allocate 4096 bytes!
by Henrik Nordstrom

Messages like "FATAL: xcalloc: Unable to allocate 4096 blocks of 1 bytes!"
appear when Squid can't allocate more memory, and on most operating systems
(inclusive BSD) there are only two possible reasons:

The machine is out of swap
The process' maximum data segment size has been reached
The first case is detected using the normal swap monitoring tools available
on the platform (pstat on SunOS, perhaps pstat is used on BSD as well).

To tell if it is the second case, first rule out the first case and then
monitor the size of the Squid process. If it dies at a certain size with
plenty of swap left then the max data segment size is reached without no
doubts.

The data segment size can be limited by two factors:

Kernel imposed maximum, which no user can go above
The size set with ulimit, which the user can control.