Re: [squid-users] read_timeout and "fwdServerClosed: re-forwarding"

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 09:44:59 +0900

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm trying to make sense of some behavior I'm observing related to the
> "read_timeout".

Tip: fwdReforwardableStatus() I think is the function which implements
the behaviour you're seeing. That and fwdCheckRetry.

You could set the HTTP Gateway timeout to return 0 so the request
isn't forwarded and see if that works, or the n_tries check in fwdCheckRetry().

I could easily make the 10 retry count a configurable parameter.

The feature, IIRC, was to work around transient network issues which
would bring up error pages in a traditional forward-proxying setup.

> I'm dealing with an accelerator setup, where I'd rather return stale
> content (or an error) then wait for the origin server to return fresh
> content if it is taking too long to respond.

Hm, what about "retry_on_error" ? Does that do anything in an accelerator
setup?

Adrian