Re: [squid-users] squid-3 problem with "cache_dir null"

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:44:41 +0900

On Tue, Dec 18, 2007, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> >Yeah, but what it doesn't make abundantly clear is that the path isn't
> >an option, its required for all storedir types. :)
>
> It really should not be for null.
> null should have an implicit and required "/dev/null" in the source code
> if dir string is required for anything like display or hashes.
>
> I assume its still in there for netdb and maybe swap.state?

Its there for legacy reasons.

Ideally, nothing "special" should be using the first storedir, like netdb.
(And that fails anyway if you use / and run Squid as non-root, so it should
be changed :)

The swap.state isn't used for the null fs, its never opened, closed or checked.
Its a holdover from way long ago, back in "modio" branch days, when I broke
the storage code out into modules. Every storage module back then had a
path, so I put "path" as being something in the SwapDir struct and parsed before
options were handed off to the per-storedir type parser. Another example of
an annoyingly-chosen line in the sand.

Adrian