Re: [squid-users] design, wccp, hardware recommendations

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 09:03:54 +0900

Squid should handle this without too many troubles.

On Tue, Dec 25, 2007, Dan Letkeman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to implement a couple of squid caching boxes to our network.
>
> These are my current requirements:
> -needs to be transparent

TPROXY3 then.

> -needs to have a failsafe in case of caching server problems
> -should use wccp

WCCPv2 will provide most of the failover that you need.

> -should be able to take it down at anytime with out interruption

Squid doesn't currently support graceful WCCPv2 shutdown.

> This what I currently have in place:
> -The network is divided up into two sides. About 400 users on one
> side and 600 users on the other side.
> -Each side will have one squid cache to start.
> -Each side will have a cisco 2801 router with a dedicated fastethernet
> port for the caching server.
>
> So my questions are:
> -Which documentation for squid and wccp with transparent proxying
> would you recommend?

The Squid Wiki and Configuration Examples is a great place to start.

> -Which server operating system would you recommend. (Currently debian
> is the only one that works with the scsi card that I have in the
> server).

Debian is fine.

> -For this amount of users what size of server would you recommend? (If
> I have to guess I would say that up to have of the users could be
> using the internet at the same time. Average during the day would
> probably 1/4 of the users at one time. So around 150 users one
> caching server and 100 users on the other caching server.

150 users isn't all that many. Anything bought in the last couple
years with 1 or 2 gig of RAM, tuned right, is going to handle that
without too many problems.

> Any other recommendations are welcome!

Just remember to have a couple of disk spindles for cache and you'll
be fine.