Re: [squid-users] How to Clear Cache in SQUID

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 00:19:03 +1300

K K wrote:
> On 1/4/08, Tim Bates <tin@new-life.org.au> wrote:
>> Remembering of course to lower the maximum cache size in the config too
>> so it doesn't get too much again...
>
> Good point. Which brings up the question, why manually delete the cache at all?
>
> Instead, just lower the maximum cache size (e.g. the cache_dir
> statement), run "squid -k reconfigure" and let squid choose what to
> delete.
>
> The effect is almost immediate (let it run for ten minutes and check
> 'df'), and squid doesn't have to start building the cache again from
> scratch.
>
> Kevin

Good point. I'm not sure why its not official.
I have added a wiki page for future reference on this

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ClearingTheCache

Please not that its only guaranteed to work when a TOTAL size change is
made, not a type or L1/L2 change. That remains untested. If anyone is
game to try the L1/L2 change and publish the results the help can be
updated.

Thanks

Amos

--
Please use Squid 2.6STABLE17 or 3.0STABLE1.