Re: [squid-users] Is is safe to use the reply_body_max_size on client side?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 19:24:55 +1300

Neha Nahar wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I want to limit the size of a webpage downloaded by my
> browser (Firefox) to 2MB.
> I plan to use squid as the proxy.
> Will setting up the reply_body_max_size to 2MB limit
> it for me ?
> I read the Squid documentation regarding
> reply_body_max_size. It says that it wont work for
> downstream caches. I am not sure what that means.
> Is downstream cache from client to web server or from
> web server to client.

Client web browser is as far 'down' as the request chain gets. Original
web server as far 'up'.

A web page or file sent out without any information on length, which
gets cut at X-bytes long instead of its actual length. A program reading
those X-bytes without any way of knowing its cut will assume its
complete. Using this option will cause such file-cutting to be done and
*will* seriously screw up some content for caches acting as clients of
yours.

Regarding the 2MB limit, it applies to all bodies. That will affect any
data files downloaded as well as HTML.

Amos

--
Please use Squid 2.6STABLE17+ or 3.0STABLE1+