Re: [squid-users] A bug? (was "cache deny and the 'public' token")

From: Ric <lists@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 15:38:53 -0700

On Mar 22, 2008, at 2:46 PM, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 03:29 -0700, Ric wrote:
>
>> Okay... after much trial and error, I think this is a bug.
>>
>> I stripped my config down to the bare essentials and these two lines
>> consistently break caching.
>>
>> acl public rep_header Cache-Control public
>> cache allow public
>>
>> In fact, if I try to use any rep_header acl in the cache directive,
>> the object is no longer cached. Other acls seem to work (although I
>> haven't tested all of them) but not rep_header.
>
> Probably only request data is available in the cache directive, not
> the
> reply data..
>
> Checking.. yes, the cache directive is evaluated before the request is
> forwarded, which means that any acl that depends on the response will
> always be false there.
>
> Regards
> Henrik

Well... that's unfortunate.

Any way to fix that? Or do you have another suggestion?

To recap... In a reverse-proxy setup, I would like to prevent requests
authenticated via cookies from being cached while retaining the
ability of the Cache-Control: public token to override this behavior
as if were a regular authenticated request.

Ric