[squid-users] Squid problem:. Some addresses work OK - but most hang indefinitely.

From: Richard Chapman <rchapman_at_aardvark.com.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 01:11:55 +0800

Hi

I installed Squid 2.6 on Centos 5.1 X86_64 system about a week ago - and
it worked fine for the first few days.
I have set all clients to use the Squid Proxy for all external (non
private 192.168.0.0/24) ip addresses. The only squid config settings I
changed from default were ACL changes to allow proxy access to everyone
on the local network.

I now have the following situation on this client:
1) I can browse local addresses fine (as they are direct)
2) I can browse a few non local addresses fine. I can refresh my ISPs
usage data OK for example, and it is clearly refreshing the live data
via squid.
3) If I browse most arbitrary web addresses - the firefox tab hangs
indefinitely with the little circular animation on the tab.
4) If I revert to direct access (Non proxy) - everything works fine.
5) I have deleted the entire cache - and maybe that helped for a bit -
but the problem returned very soon after.
6) I have checked CPU and memory usage on the centos machine - and
everything looks fine - almost nothing happening.
7) I did make some router changes to try to prevent direct access from
clients - but I have since reverted these changes because the router did
not behave as expected. It is now back to the starting point - but the
problem persists.
8) I have recently installed sarg, Calamaris and Webalizer - but I doubt
these could be responsible for the problem.

Can anyone suggest what might be going on here, and if so - how to fix it?
If not - can anyone advise diagnostic steps?

Regards

richard.