Re: [squid-users] Getting user details from remote users

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 00:11:54 +1200

Oliver Marshall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I were to run a squid server at a co-lo centre, which isn't connected
> to our office via a vpn or anything else, is there some way we can get
> the usernames of the users included in the logs so that we can still
> create reports based on who is going where? Ideally I'd like some kind
> of client software (this is for windows users) which would run on their
> local machines and forward requests to the squid box. This would mean we
> can get their usernames as well as allowing us to handle the Terminal
> Services users correctly who all use the same server.
>
> Olly

The authentication in Squid does not care about underlying network as
long as the connections can be made.

  * configure browsers as normal to use your squid at its remote IP.
  * configure squid with authentication required for access
  * setup the auth mechanism in squid with access to something locally
that can do it securely for a known fixed external IP.

Since part of the network between is out of your control you may wish to
use digest hashing of passwords instead of basic.

Amos