Re: [squid-users] Squid and TC - Traffic Shaping

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 21:25:11 +1200

Wilson Hernandez - MSD, S. A. wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I was writing a script to control traffic on our network. I created my
> rules with tc and noticed that it wasn't working correctly.
>
> I tried this traffic shaping on a linux router that has squid doing
> transparent cache.
>
> When measuring the download speed on speedtest.net the download speed is
> 70kbps when is supposed to be over 300kbps. I found it strange since
> I've done traffic shaping in the past and worked but not on a box with
> squid. I stopped the squid server and ran the test again and it gave me
> the speed I assigned to that machine. I assigned different bw and the
> test gave the correct speed.
>
> Have anybody used traffic shaping (TC in linux) on a box with squid? Is
> there a way to combine both a have them work side by side?

Answer to both is yes. Though how is not known to me at this point.

Squid is capable of setting a mixture of outbound QoS flags. Information
about using those with iptables etc seems to be fine. But when people
throw TC into the mix with newer Squid something appears in the routing
behavior that we have no documented info about.

I am also seeking a TC expert to help several users already needing to
use it with TPROXYv4 and/or WCCP setups.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.7