[squid-users] Squid on Windows, slow file transfers

From: Joseph Jamieson <jjamieson_at_FutureFoundations.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 14:40:33 -0700

Hello,

I have squid 2.7.STABLE6 running on Server 2008.    Its purpose is a reverse-proxy for several web services.

For instance, one service is OWA, another is a web-based file-sharing utility, and another is a plain old web site.   All DNS records (mail., files., www.) point to the same IP which is NATted to Squid.   Each of these services is running on a separate machine.

It all works great.   Squid determines which back-end machine/port to request the data from based on http headers.   It's squid at its finest.

However, file transfers through it are very slow.   The connection is 20Mbit.   When I go directly to the web file server via a direct NAT, I can download at full speed.  1.5MB/s is common from this method.   However, when I go through the squid reverse-proxy, response time is great but file transfers never go above 200K/s.

It's almost as if connections are capped/throttled at a certain speed within squid.  I tested a direct web server on port 80 under the suspicion that the ISP was throttling port 80 but it was fine.

I am having a devil of a time tracking down this problem, and any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks.

Joe