Re: [squid-users] Squid high bandwidth IO issue (ramdisk SSD)

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_squid-cache.org>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 18:27:31 +0800

Generally large amounts of CPU being spent in IO wait means that the
driver is not well-written or the hardware requires extra upkeep to
handle IO operations.

What hardware in particular are you using?

This was one of those big differences between IDE and SATA in the past
btw. At least under Linux in the distant past, a lot of the IDE
drivers would have to manually transfer the data using PIO rather than
having a bus-master DMA transfer occur like many SCSI cards did. This
was counted to "IO wait."

Investigate what your storage driver is doing. :)

HTH,

Adrian