[squid-users] Squid Redirect To local server Using cache_peer

From: Aegis1888 <jaz.chana_at_cdms.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 14:13:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Guys

I have successfully managed to redirect http requests using squid with the
following config in my squid.conf file;

cache_peer www.yahoo.co.uk parent 80 0 name=test no-query originserver
acl someotherurl dstdomain www.google.co.uk
cache_peer_access test allow someotherurl

with the above I can redirect http requests, in firefox, from
www.google.co.uk to www.yahoo.co.uk. I am running a local web container
(jetty) and I can successfully connect to it through my browser and have a
page served up. However when I try to change the originsever in the config
from www.yahoo.co.uk to localhost or 127.0.0.1, it doesn't redirect google
to the local server. Instead it goes straight to google.

Why is this? Can you you not use cache_peer with local web servers?

Also am I making life difficult for myself, in other words is there a better
way to redirect http requests like this?

Cheers guys