Re: [squid-users] Howto run Internet Explorer without proxy setting in Internet Options

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 10:21:28 +1200

On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 22:26:27 +0900, Andrej van der Zee
<andrejvanderzee_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your email.
>

>> So far in only two posts you have asked how to do three very different
>> things.
>>

> Maybe I should explain the problem I have then. I live in Japan but
> want to be able to see Dutch Football from the Internet. There is such
> a service but it only allows connections from within Holland. So I set
> up a Squid proxy server in Holland and configured Internet Explorer in
> Japan to use the proxy server. But, somehow the football service still
> knows I am not in Holland. I found in their FAQ that configuring
> Internet Explorer through a proxy does not work, even if you are in
> Holland. So somehow I want to circumvent using the browser settings.
> Is there any way?
>
> Thank you,
> Andrej

Aha, that is yet another thing altogether.
You seem to have been confused by two or more of the meanings of
"transparent" regarding proxies. All your Qs so far have been about various
ways of transparent _interception_. 'transparent' in all its meanings
involves making the proxy itself invisible and the web server see the real
client details. That is the exact opposite of what you need to do the
above.

What you are needing to do is forget about the iptables and other
"transparent proxy" stuff.

What you require to do the above is more commonly mentioned as
anonymization.

via off
forwarded-for off
header_access X-forwarded-For deny all

(NP: requires Squid built with --enable-http-violations)

Squid will take care of removing stuff only relevant between the browser
and itself (ie Proxy-Connection). But is required to add the above two
headers. Anonymization so the web server only sees Squid as the source
involves removing them and all other tracing information.

If the above still does not work not we need to look deeper at how the tv
station is detecting the proxy, possibly how the streaming happens. There
are other things that might be tried but which degrade web access a little.

Amos