[squid-users] Need help in integrating squid and samba

From: Avinash Rao <avinash.aol_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:55:04 +0530

Dear all,

I am new here and i would like to know the correct procedure for
compiling squid to integrate with samba.
I am doing this on a Ubuntu 8.04 Server 64-bit edition and i have all
the updates installed. Infact, i have installed samba through apt-get
install and is configured as a PDC.

dpkg -l | grep samba
ii  samba  3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.8   a LanManager-like file and printer server fo
ii  samba-common  3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.8   Samba common files used by both
the server a

 I am in need of controlling internet access for samba domain users
through squid. I read the documentation and it says Squid must be
built with the configure options:

    --enable-auth="ntlm,basic"
    --enable-basic-auth-helpers="
winbind"
    --enable-ntlm-auth-helpers="winbind"

According to the documentation,
--------
Samba 3.x
---------
Things are much easier under the 3.x versions of Samba. Smbd is no
longer required to manage the machine's trust account, and  there is
no need to patch any utilities.
The Samba team has incorporated functionality to change the machine
trust account password in the new "net" command.  A simple daily cron
job scheduling "net rpc changetrustpw" is all that is needed.

I went through the squid documentation and the configure options are
vast. All i want is normal squid operations but with samba
integration. Do I have to specify other options for normal squid
operations?? What is the correct procedure and which version of squid
suits well for the version of samba i am using? I have used squid but
never compiled.  My requirement with samba is PDC, winxp clients,
users home directories are mapped as they login to the domain, a
common share for all users and a printer if needed.

Many Thanks,
Avinash