AW: AW: AW: [squid-users] Mixing cached and non-cached access of same URLs by session-id

From: Schermuly-Koch, Achim <a.schermuly-koch_at_cassini.de>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 11:39:28 +0200

[...]

>> negotiation (this is what they call it in the specs) is a request header based
>> concept. The only request header
>> available for negotiation is the cookie header. I am not getting the point why that is such >> a "very bad idea (tm)"?

>No, the bottom line is that using the same URL for personalized and
>anonymous content do not work if rendered by the web server, as HTTP do
>not support such split in a reasonable manner.

[...]

>but Cookie is kind of a kitchen sink with lots of crap getting
>into it making the variance in Cookie headers large even for anonymous
>access on most sites. Caching of urls like this can only work if you
>design the site such that only authenticated sessions have some form of
>cookie and anonymous / logged out users have absolutely no cookies at
>all (or at least none which varies with the user, to tracking cookies,
>no stale session cookies)
>Regards
>Henrik

Agreed. Thanks - i think i got the point now. In that special case
i am lucky.
We do not use cookies - except for session-handling. And moreover we do
not want to cache personalized content. So i can easily add a "no-cache"
header in the Apache whenever the user requestes a ressource with
a cookie header.

Yes - and i have to deal with unsetting stale session-cookies.

Regards and thanX for your help

 achim