Re: [squid-users] not caching enough

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 15:34:35 +1200

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:07:27 -0800, Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
wrote:
> ant2ne wrote:
>> I got this 1TB drive and mounted it as /cache. I want to cache
everything
>> and
>> anything and keep it until it is outdated.
>>
>> Webmin | Servers | squid | Cache
>> has cache directories set to "/cache" and Size (MB) set to "500000" (the
>> rest set to default)

I suggest you also check the options on your cache_dir line. Ensuring that
a fast filesystem mechanism (AUFS, COSS or diskd) is being used. And that
the L1/L2 values (default "16 256") are set large enough to cope with
500GB, ie "256 256".

> First read http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/SquidMemory.
>
> If you insist on trying to fill a 500GB cache, have a look at
> http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/maximum_object_size/

I would also point you in the direction of:
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/DynamicContent

... which should make a fair few more requests cacheable.

You can also use refresh_pattern to extend the time objects without expiry
information are stored in cache
(but please stay away from the override-* options unless you need them to
solve particular file problem, they make your cache disobey HTTP protocol
requirements).

Amos

<snip>

>> There is currently about 100 computers using this cache proxy. I intend
>> add another 200. I can use sarg and get reports showing that websites
are
>> being cached, so it is working. But it just doesn't seem to be caching
>> enough. Are there file types that are not getting cached that I can turn
>> on?
>> Why wont this cache fill up?
>
> Chris

Amos