Re: [squid-users] GZIP and Squid on a high performance website?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 09:11:08 +1300

Gerrit Berkouwer wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> we want to use Squid-3.1 with ecap support to enable the external gzip
> module on our high performance/high availability website.
> We want to use GZIP because we think this will improve performance for
> our end-users, following the 'high-performance website' rules of Steve
> Souders of Google, gzipping content being one of those rules.
>
> Are there any users on this list that use GZIP with Squid for this
> reason? If so, how do you manage this? With the Squid-ecap-gzip module
> at http://code.google.com/p/squid-ecap-gzip/?
>
> Any thoughts on using GZIP and Squid for high performance high
> availability websites? is GZIP worthwhile with todays broadband
> connections of clients?

I believe the benefits of compression come when pre-zipping content on
the web server. As in: two static versions of every file stored.

There seem to be several people using the gzip eCAP module. One has
reported that it slows traffic down in their high-speed setup. As can
kind of be expected when adding extra processing mid-transit.
So test well before deploying.

Amos

--
Please be using