Re: [squid-users] Apt-get Issue through squid

From: Jakob Curdes <jc_at_info-systems.de>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 20:00:00 +0200

Adam_at_Gmail schrieb:
> Hello Everybody!
>
> I have a question if you don't mind or if anyone has a solution to this
>
> I am trying to download some packages with apt-get on one of my Ubuntu
> clients
> All of the links fail, which means they are blocked by Squid, When I
> try the same thing
> on the Squid machine itself which is also the router I get all the
> updates
Please do not jump to assumptions without having checked the facts.
"All of the links fail, which means they are blocked by Squid" is the
least likely cause.
You can verify that easily by looking at the squid access log, without
going the deviation via the mailing list.

MY assumption is:
- The firewall on the router allows direct internet access
- so it is clear that apt-get on the firewall can get the updates
[without using squid at all]
- apt-get, being a unix-style command line tool, does not know or
respect the browser settings for proxies
- you did not set a http_proxy/ftp_proxy variable in the shell calling
apt-get nor did you configure a proxy in apt.conf
- As you do not allow direct internet access (or maybe even do not have
a gateway set on the client, which would be perfectly OK), apt-get tries
to resolve the name (may succeed depending on setup) an then tries to
download from the origin server
(which you prohibit, so it fails also).

It is very unlikely with any squid configuration near the defaults (eg.
without authentication or complex header manipulation)
that the proxy blocks requests from a particular machine depending on
the "browser" used.

Conclusion: 99% not a squid issue. You might ask on the ubuntu mailing
lists for help if Google does not give you enough explanation how to use
apt-get with a proxy.

HTH,
Jakob Curdes