Re: [squid-users] moving cache.swap or rotating more frequently?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 15:57:28 +1200

On 03/06/11 05:33, Tory M Blue wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 12:45 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> On 02/06/11 18:27, Tory M Blue wrote:
>>>
>>> Afternoon
>>>
>>> Have a question, is there a negative to running -k rotate more than
>>> once a day?
>>
>> All your active connections will pause while Squid deals with the logs.
>>

> Ahh wasn't aware thanks, but it seems to be pretty quick, so not sure
> this is terrible :)
>
>>> I've recently moved squid to a ramcache (it's glorious), however my
>>> cache.swap file continues to grow and brings me to an uncomfortable
>>> 95%.
>>
>> By "ramcache" do you mean RAM cache (aka a large cache_mem storage area) or
>> an in-memory pseudo disk?
>>
>> Tried using COSS? (in-memory pseudo disk with hardware backing).
>
> In memory psuedo-disk /dev/ram0.
>
> I tried Coss before and it was a really bad experience, wonder if I
> try it with the pseudo-disk instead of on hard disk (I setup coss
> before using standard fast SAS disks (not memory) and it was slower
> then sin, really bad, 20-30 seconds for the first image etc. Maybe
> what you are saying is I did my test wrong and COSS should be used
> with a in memory "pseudo-disk", like what I'm running now with aufs..
> hmmm

No I meant COSS with HDD. It does not make sense with ramcache once you
understand that COSS *is* a ramcache. Merely tuned to handle Squids
unusual disk I/O patterns instead of generic OS one-size-fits-all pattern.

I find it strange that you and others have trouble with it. That needs
investigating one day.

All Squid does is allocate itself ~10MB of RAM and start using it as an
alternative HDD. When each 1MB is full is does a single "swap out" 1MB
big in the same manner the OS swaps out virtual memory pages.
(default slice is 1MB, but can be tuned if that is too big|small for
your disk I/O to handle fast)

It works wonders for objects up to around 25% the slice size.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.8 and 3.1.12.2