Re: [squid-users] need a simple transparent caching conf

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 16:30:27 +1200

On 06/06/11 11:55, MrNicholsB wrote:
> Squid is caching content, but it is NOT serving cache to my clients and
> frankly its driving me nuts, I dont need a 101 on squid, I just need a
> basic conf. I wish the devs would include a basic transparent cache
> proxy conf with squid to save noobs like me the trouble. My clients are

(rant warning)

We can't bundle it.
  * This TCP hijacking is no topic for "noobs" as you put it.
  * "transparent" rides a fine line of legality in most of the world.
Just like downloading MP3s and AVIs, everybody "noob" tries it anyway.

We do distribute the 19 configs via the wiki.
  * http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/#Interception

as you can see; a different config for every device, firewall software,
and firewall feature on the market. That list is also only for the
common ones we get told about.

/rant

> MANUALLY aimed at the proxy at port 3128, they can surf just fine, so

good. Problem worked around then. Time to relax before looking at
alternatives calmly.

> NAT is NOT required on the box, I just need a conf that actually WORKS.

Good. Lets keep it completely out of the picture until the caching bit
is figured out.

> This is getting absurd, I dont understand why its not serving up cached
> content, I download ANYTHING you know 13mb exe files from a site, then
> go download the same file on another pc and BAM!! fresh content NOT

Ah, there is a sign that (a) the PC are each asking for different
content (one URL has multiple "variants" in HTTP), or (b) the server is
producing different content for each unique client.

Once you have a recent enough version of Squid we can give you debug
settings to log the headers and see what is going on.

> served from the cache, wtf am I doing wrong here!?!?!?!

Still doing all this with 3.0.STABLE1 ? yes/no ?
Caching behaviour and HTTP compliance has undergone a LOT of good
changes since then.

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.8 and 3.1.12.2