Re: [squid-users] Ideas for Squid statistics Web UI development

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 18:13:17 +1300

On 19/11/2012 3:11 p.m., Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> On 11/19/2012 3:34 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> Wonderful to hear about more progress in the administration sphere.
>>
>> I have an ongoing project by Francesco Chemolli (kinkie) to improve the
>> cachemgr and SNMP information feeds. Would you be interested in
>> collaboration on the Squid internal upgrades needed to support our three
>> administration interfaces?
>>

>> The prime objectives of our feature project in no particular order are:
>> * to upgrade the cachemgr reports output such that it can be used as
>> an Open Web API for managing Squid via plugin Web UI.
>> * create a HTML + XHR alternative to cachemgr.CGI.
>> * to synchronize the cachemgr and SNMP reporting such that all data is
>> equally available through either - as alternative API rather than
>> supplementary.
>>

>> Amos Jeffries
>> Treehouse Networks Ltd.
>
> About the above mention cachemgr information feeds:
> the current output should or was Space limited for some or all?

What do you mean?
  "limited" -> "delimited" ? no,
   tables are TSV format (tab separated values on a line prefixed with a
\t),
   some lists of values are kv-pair in mime format (delimited with ':'
and optional whitespace padding around values) as seen in the helper and
DNS reports,
   some lists of values are kv-pair delimited with '=' as seen in the
statistics report.

... we are still debating format upgrades for future Squid.

> Is there any basic template for html + xhr?

We opted not to publish a particular MGR_INDEX file with Squid, but to
design such that the template with script code should belong to and be
installed by third-party management tools using the interface. The file
should contain a complete HTML page and you can do anything you like for
the markup. The only caveat is that it is a static HTML page (only
browser interpreted scripting allowed). Squid error page macro
substitution is performed on it prior to delivery (but not on other
resources included by it).

Designing a better manager UI tool was kinkies project, I'm not sure if
the result was going to become FOSS or not, but anyone aiming at making
a good one of their own is welcome to give it a go.