[squid-users] Re: Using squid on a single machine to create a transparent http proxy behind a corporate proxy?

From: Magnus <magnus.eriksson_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 09:47:27 +0100

I am setting up a Linux machine that will run behind a corporate web
proxy with authentication (NTLM and basic) but since I will for
development purposes run a lot of different software, VMs etc it is a
pain to manage proxy configuration in them all (some programs also
have buggy or non existing proxy support and the password in the
corporate firewall must be changed regularly making the pain worse).
The corporate proxy does not seem to do a very good job in
accelerating web traffic either :-(

To address these problems I would like to set up a "transparent proxy"
on my own box for my private use that intercepts all http traffic,
accelerates it and directs it to the corporate proxy (including
performing the authentication with my own user name password) - this
way I should only have to set and update it in one place and also
solve the other issues at the same time!

My question is if it is possible to set up Squid in this way? I
already know that it is good at speeding up web traffic and that it
can be set up as transparent proxy but I am not sure if it could be
done on a single machine as described or if it can redirect traffic to
another proxy that sits between it and internet?

If it is possible how hard would it be? Are there some guides I could
use? I know a bit about networking but is not a guru by any means...