Re: [squid-users] Re: Any Way To Check If Windows Updates Are Cached?

From: Helmut Hullen <Hullen_at_t-online.de>
Date: 04 Sep 2013 17:40:00 +0200

Hallo, HillTopsGM,

Du meintest am 04.09.13:

[wsusoffline]

> Thanks for this tip - I know you have mentioned it before, but what I
> am trying to avoid is on an on going basis (every week) when there is
> an update, having all 12 computers download the same file.

> This is a great tool if you are always doing fresh installs - that's
> fine - but it doesn't help me day to day.

But surely it helps! It's a data base for all desired windows versions,
it's completed/refreshed every time you want.

> The other thing is that it doesn't look like the tool is updated as
> frequently as windows updates come out - in other words, it doesn't
> appear to incrementally update itself.

Updateing is a cron job. Only not yet existing files are downloaded
during such a job, and they stay in the directory as long as Windows
looks for them - that's another way than staying in the squid cache.

> Am I correct in assuming this?

No. Just take a try, for about some weeks. Microsoft has a fixed patch
day.

> This is why I'd really prefer to have the proxy work properly - just
> set it up and forget it. That's the dream.

The squid cache deletes old files, because it's a cache.

By the way: my wsusoffline directory contains actually the updates for
Windows XP (32 bit), Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit), that's nearly 7
Gbyte. I wouldn't fill a cache with so much nearly static files.

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut