Re: More problems with NOVM version

From: Ken Hardy <ken@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 08:47:26 -0600 (CST)

"Miguel A.L. Paraz" <map@iphil.net> wrote:

>Thanks for the interesting story, but we (and the other folks with the
>problem probably) don't run firewalls.

I diagnosed this problem when I saw the SYN-ACK packets on the wrong
side of the firewall, but it's not a situation that's unique to
firewalls. I had a minor repeat of the problem lately where the
SYN-ACK packets were going to the right router, but that router didn't
know where to go with them. (I love it when net ops. starts mucking
with the routers.)

>Your message suggests I peek at netstat for anomalous entries - thanks!

This last recurrence was diagnosed when I discovered a lot of "SYN RECEIVED"
entries in the netstat table. A traceroute quickly confirmed that I could
not reach the nets listed.

--
KH