Re: Proxies

From: Tim Burgess <sybernetix@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 00:52:50 +1000

Dear All,

> At present I have an Apache Virtual Server (and will be changing to
> Squid soon) set up to proxie and have noticed that it does not seem
> to allow for Netscape's keyword search feature; type a keyword in the
> address field returns a proxie error. Does anyone know if there is a
> work around and if this is the case with Squid?

In Squid 2.2STABLE2 at least (I don't know about other versions), you could
perhaps use a simple redirector to make up an altavista/google or whatever
request URL out of all invalid addresses. Visit the search engine you want,
and figure out how the search URLs are formatted (ie make a request and take
a look at the url). Then use a simple c program or any other thing to write
the correct search prefix/suffix around it.

Just an idea - no doubt someone else around here will fill it out a little
more.

Cheers,

Tim Burgess