Re: [squid-users] rproxy.patch for 2.4 ?

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 03:10:46 -0500

I think you've asked this question at the wrong time (Henrik is on
vacation, last I heard, and rproxy is his baby).

I'll give you some thoughts based on Henrik's past commentary on the
rproxy branch--I don't speak for Henrik, of course, so take it with a
grain of salt:

- Use it at your own risk, though it has been pretty solid at several
points in the past. But it is outside of stable for a good reason--it
goes through rapid working/broken states while Henrik is doing new
things with it and while other Squid branches are getting his attention
and moving out of sync with rproxy. Last time he spoke of it, it was in
a broken state. I think he recently fixed it up enough to compile
because someone wanted to do some development work on it.

- Henrik is not likely to backport any major feature without some
incentive to do so (i.e. he is paid to do it, or someone else does it
and only asks him a few questions along the way about the task--Henrik
is about the busiest person ever, moving forward with Squid takes enough
of ). rproxy is not even scheduled for inclusion is 2.5, so a backport
to 2.4 would be a pretty big task, I think.

Short of purchasing some sort of support from Henrik's company, your
best bet is probably to give the current CVS version of the rproxy
branch a try, and if it breaks, send good bug reports. If you need a
nudge in the right direction WRT fetching a CVS branch anonymously, let
me know.

--
Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.