Re: [squid-users] Accelerator Cluster

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 12:47:54 -0800

Jerry Thomas wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am running a cluster of squid 2.5 servers to accelerate many domains
>and everything is working very well.
>
>I am currently going direct to the origin servers on cache misses.
>
>Will there be performance gains if I add the other squid servers as
>cache peers or will the endusers perceive latency while the squid checks
>its peers versus going direct.
>
>Thanks,
>Jerry

I have read that you can have up to 8 Squid servers talking via ICP on a
100Base-T network before you start to see performance degridation. I
have three physical servers, and MRTG states that my near miss service
time (which should be peer-hits, if I'm not mistaken) take around 1ms
when it's busy. It seems to take longer (up to 25ms, 6ms average)
during off peak times. Not likely noticable.

Chris