Re: [squid-users] plugin to secure authentication

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 01:36:35 +0200

ons 2006-04-05 klockan 12:23 +0100 skrev Melanie Pfefer:

> I am looking for a third party plug-in to secure ldap
> based authentication between browser and proxy.
> Can you please assist?

digest authentication.

There is a digest LDAP based helper in the Squid-3 tree (this helper
also works with 2.5). Due to the security aspects of the
browser<->squid authentication the helper requires it's own "digest"
password hash stored in the LDAP tree or access to plain text passwords.

In theory another possible route would be to SSL encrypt the
browser<->squid traffic, but this isn't supported by any browsers on the
market (neither free or proprietary) and thus requires an SSL wrapper
such as stunnel on each client station..